All stages of a commercial contract are crucial in order to achieve organisational objectives, minimise risk and maximise the commercial value of the agreement.
This course has been designed to equip delegates with the best practice in tendering, contract drafting and contractor management, as well as tools and techniques to avoid and resolve disputes.
It will also focus on developing the essential negotiation skills required to succeed, whether finalising a project contract, a construction commitment or an outsourcing service agreement.
Delegates will receive the latest legal and commercial insights, alongside essential skills often overlooked in contract management, such as effective communication and bargaining.
Who should attend
This is a stimulating and practical course designed for Directors, Senior Executives, Contract Managers and specialists involved in procurement and supplier relations and those who wish to maximise the competitive advantage to be gained from successful negotiation and contract management.
London | £3900
Dubai | $4950
- Preparing the right business case
- Utilising lessons learned from previous projects
- Gaining buy-in from senior management
- Identifying and mitigating areas of new risk
- Requests for information, requests for proposals, and evaluating bids
Negotiating the deal
- Preparing to negotiate
- Setting parameters for a successful negotiation
- In the room: how negotiators get to “yes”
- Delivering value and overcoming obstacles
- Achieving sign-off and sealing the agreement
The clauses that matter and the clauses that don’t
- Providing incentives, liquidated damages and penalties to maximise performance
- Designing an effective contract structure
- Wording obligations with clarity and precision
- “Boilerplate” clauses – Ensuring costly details aren’t overlooked
Getting the best out of contractors
- Positions vs interests: how to break down barriers
- Managing communication to ensure all parties are working together.
- Giving feedback effectively in difficult situations
- Contractor management tools for large, technical projects
Avoiding and resolving disputes
- Dispute avoidance boards
- Tiered dispute resolution clauses and why these are effective
- Mediation and alternative dispute resolution
- Your day in court: taking a case to litigation or arbitration successfully
- Debt enforcement in complex international situations
At the end of this course, delegates will be able to:
- Evaluate potential areas of risk when preparing tenders
- Understand the negotiation process
- Negotiate effectively
- Communicate effectively with contractors
- Draft contracts
- Provide contractors with clear and valuable feedback
- Avoid and resolve disputes
- Achieve positive results through mediation